Saturday, May 25, 2013

Of old ladies and cab drivers ;


Yesterday, I was serving this old lady at the restaurant. And when I collected her plates she told me out of the blue, totally randomly, that she feels so alone. She told me her husband died, and she now lives alone. When he was still alive, they would always come to the restaurant together. But now he’s gone so she comes to eat alone. What broke me was that she told me she misses him. And I just got so upset I didn’t know what to say but, sorry.


And just now I got dropped off by the same cab driver from yesterday. What are the odds right :) so yesterday he told me he was upset cause he was fighting with his wife. Today he showed me a photo of her and told me she wants a divorce.

I felt really bad for him so when he dropped me off I ran back into the house and gave him some of the cookies I made the other day. He looked so happy and it made me glad too. Then I went up to my room I just sat there and cried.


I don’t know these people, they’re just acquaintances. But yet them sharing their stories with me just makes me feel like, all my problems seem so petty compared to theirs. I couldn’t do much to help them but i really wish I could.

But also, why do I fret so much about the little things that upset me? I’m not saying I’m not allowed to be sad. I know it’s really silly to say “oh, other people have it worse, so you can’t be upset”. But I’m not saying that, I’m saying I shouldn’t go into mindless self-pity. The solution is right in front of me and I’m gonna solve it. No point wasting my time being upset, really. I know what I want and what I don’t want. So I’m just gonna go ahead. And do it.


p/s : this post is in an awkward white box cause I copied it from my Tumblr cause I can't be bothered to type it twice lol :)

No comments: