Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Third day ; Don't piss off animals with horns and hooves


Today there were more volunteers/students who came in (: So we split up the jobs and got it done pretty quickly! Plus, the farm was closed today so somehow or rather, the jobs got done a lot quicker :P

The highlight of the day though was alpaca sheering! :D

And for those of you who don't know what an alpaca is,


You're welcome.

And no they're not llamas, though they come from the same family, Camelidae, which is obviously the "camel" family. Hence, the funny looking faces and weirded shaped bodies.

They're pretty much like giraffes, except less cuter and much more, stumpy.

Yeah just cause they look silly and less intimidating compared to like, fully grown horses or buffaloes, doesn't mean they can't hurt people. Heck, sheering them was so difficult, cause it takes a lot of effort and energy just to pin them down.

The whole team of like 5 people took 10 minutes pinning the bigger one down, and it was so scary cause she kicks pretty hard and one blow could give you stitches right away :/ Might even push you back to a wall or any sharp corners :x Once it was down, they had to tie the 4 legs and everyone had to hold one corner, and it was so tiring for em, one had to hold the head down too. I just stood and watch for the first one :P Every time the guy sheered a bit off, she would squirm and kick, which was so scary to watch, cause she was pretty huge and she was very very VERY strong :/

It took them a whole 50 minutes to get everything done, and when she stood up, we all laughed cause she looked so silly :P Basically she looked like an overgrown poodle, cause they couldn't sheer her legs and tail, so you can imagine how weird she looked :P

Then we went for lunch break cause it was so tiring for everyone else... but me :P And I made new friends! FINALLY! :D They came to sit with me while I was eating, so nice T-T Cause I've been eating alone for the past 2 days :/ Was beginning to feel so lonely on the farm ): They were really nice and were so surprised when I told them it was my first time volunteering on an actual farm, and that I was 18 -__- They must have thought I lived under a rock all this while. And I can imagine one my college mates saying "Yea, you do live under a rock, it's called, Malaysia?" *shrugs*

After lunch, we sheered the previous alpaca's son, named Comet! :D oh btw, her name was Tinkerbell. So cute! (: Comet was much easier cause he was smaller, but he caught us off guard and kicked the guy in charge in the face :/ ouch. .__. it turned red like immediately :/ Oh and this time I got to help! :D by holding the wire ._. ...... IT'S STILL HELPING! D:

One of the students took a video of it and it was 45 minutes long -_- So I didn't bother taking one cause my phone camera sucks and it'll probably look shitty anyways. I'm just illustrating how it went (: And at the beginning it was pretty funny cause the alpacas just stared at us, and when we said, RIGHT! Time to go bald. The mum used her back leg to kick the wall as though saying, "damn." Ahh, how adorable.

Nothing much, picked up poo again, bla bla bla. Time to collect all the water buckets and food bowls! Went into the ponies pen, and the fierce pony that bites people, Alfie, blocked the gate and tried to bite me when I stopped him from coming out -_- so I had to climb over the fence :/ Then I had to collect the water bowl from the ram and the alpacas. Alpacas were okay cause they're very shy and they run away when you come close to em. Ram? Not so much. Once I stepped into the pen, the ram head butted me in the leg. It was so damn painful -_- My leg went numb for a while and I had to sit down till it didn't hurt so much. He was SO STRONG ): And his horns were so big -_- I wanted to whack it so badly! But I was too afraid it might turn round and head butt me again -__-

Oh yeah! And today I learnt that pythons, stink. Like, they really REALLY smell bad. I would rather pick up goat poop, than python poop.


Note to self, never go into a ram pen, without back-up.


No comments: