Monday, June 4, 2012

My first day on the farm!



Hello! I'm super tired right now and I'm so damn sleepy, but I guess I'll just update my blog for a while since I don't wanna forget today (':

Well, first off, I have a week's placement on a farm *EXCITED FACE* for this half-term week, though it's only a 2 day break for my college. But I told the vice principal about this volunteering at the farm and he was so impressed and he told me I could have the week off .__. No joke! He even said that this volunteering would be so much better than coming to college ._. He was like, GO FOR IT! Don't worry bout college, I'll give you authorized absence.


*EVEN MORE EXCITED*


So here it goes!

Morning, took the bus all the way to Crystal Palace. And as usual. I got lost.

And this time it wasn't funny! Cause I was late for my shift and the park was SO DAMN HUGE! D: It was massive I tell you :x Had to walk round and ask random people/joggers for directions. Didn't really know what they meant, and this Asian lady I asked just said "IT'S OVER THERE! *POINTS*" Like wth. How the hell am I supposed to mentally draw a dotted line from your finger and magically find the farm on my own -_-

So I called up the farm like twice, cause I panicked and I didn't wanna disturb them much, so basically I was walking round in circles with my STUPID iPHONE MAP THAT COULDN'T DETECT MY LOCATION! I ended up walking up and down the hill with a phone in my hand, frantically shaking it hoping it'll show my location and through many many many many little paths and bushes. Oh my goodness, you wouldn't believe how many little paths there were -__- I was practically like a lost duck in a maze. Don't know why I said that. But SPEAKING OF DUCKS! I passed this little pond and a duck somehow squeezed through the metal bars and followed me ._. I thought it was just coming to find food on me but turns out it was really following me ._.

I'M SORRY I COULDN'T HELP BUT TAKE A PICTURE! IT'S JUST TOO ADORABLE :PP
And sorry for the little brown blurry bit, it's not my finger -_- I'm not that retarded *sorry to all you people there who take photos with the finger in the way though* It's my iPhone4S Rilakkuma cover -_- My phone is the 3GS so it doesn't fit properly into a 4S cover :/


Then I continued walking REALIZING THAT I WAS 15 MINUTES LATE ): And I turned around and a couple more ducks followed me.



HAHAHAHHAHA! ADORABLE RIGHT! They were just like quack quack quack quack*walks towards me* :P *okay I know I sound retarded*

ANYWAYS (: I finally found the farm and after filling up the volunteering forms and stuff I was ready to clean up poop!

Sorry, I haven't got pictures cause I don't wanna end up taking more pictures and not focusing on what I had to do, so I guess I'm just gonna summarize what I did, MIND YOU, THIS IS ALREADY SUMMARIZED.

First task : Catch crickets and feed poisonous frogs. -__- The supervisor asked me whether I was scared, and me trying to act cool said, nah not really. Till she opened up a big black bin of crickets and asked me to put my hand into it and grab 12 -___- After 5 minutes of jerking and squealing (I also dropped a few on the floor and others had to help me catch it ): ) I gave up. So she handed me tongs and I clipped em up :P It was like one of those stupid chinese mini games that you get where you use chopsticks but this time, shit got real. -__-

Second task : Clean guinea pigs and rabbits pen. Not too bad, picking up poop and throwing it away. I got to pet a few bunnies while I cleaned the place (: Which made me so much happier than picking up crickets :x

Task C : Mucking up ._. For all you people (Malaysians), who don't know what that means, (NEITHER DID I). It basically involves using a pitchfork to get the hay into a pile and ruffling it up to get the poop to sink to the bottom in the stables. Then, scoop the poop up with a shovel and get rid of it. It was okay, the smell was bearable, but the worst part is the labour :x I mean, I have not used that many muscles in my body for a very very very long time :/ My legs ached to the max -__- Probably didn't help that the pitchfork was taller than me too :/

LUNCH : OM NOM NOMS ON THE CHOW MEIN MY HOST BOUGHT (: Neh don't get too excited, it was just microwavable chow mein. Yea they call is chow mein here, though direct spelling of fried noodles from chinese would be chao mian! :D

Then after lunch we lazed around for a while, while the public went OOH AHHH in the Reptile room. There were many crazy ass creatures in the "exotic room" as they call it! Even this dude, which I NEVER KNEW EXISTED IN MY LIFE! :X

CREEPY RIGHT?!
This is an axolotl. Its cool how its spelt, and I was freaked out like shit when I saw it. Didn't wanna stare too long cause it might give me nightmares -__- So yes, I decided to google an image and put it on my blog to scare all you people ;) Enjoy your dreams while you think about Mr Loty creeping up on you ;) These are amphibians by the way, if you only thought amphibians were just frogs and salamanders, THINK AGAIN. This thing, as creepy as it may seem, is an amphibian :/


Then the supervisor took out a python :x And I was so tempted to touch it but I was so shy :/ Yea I was super shy today, barely spoke a sentence to any of the other people working on the farm ): Oh and then the supervisor took out another snake, a corn snake! And it was so cute! Cause it was a baby and pretty tiny, but still the length is probably 3/4 my height? :/ And she asked me whether I wanted to hold it. HELL YEAH! :D

I got to play with it while it creeped up all over my hands and to my back and up my sleeve and all the "safe" places :P And while they were explaining stuff to the visitors, little kids came up to me and asked whether they could hold em :/ Rules were that they couldn't hold em, but they could touch them. SO I FELT SO LUCKY! :D I was basically like a "clothes hanger" while the kids pet the snake! Oh I felt so attached to it, I didn't wanna put it down ): It was my first time handling a snake and I felt so happy ): I even had to convince myself NOT to get one when I go home ): ); SOBS!

After that the other workers/students/volunteers ( don't really know what they were, but they were so experienced :x ) went to bring the Shetland ponies up the hill to graze on the grass. I wanted to go! But the girl said they had enough people so I was like aww ): Was a bit shy to ask whether I could go with :/ So meh. Went back to the Reptile room. Saw the supervisor playing with a hedgehog, so I asked whether I could hold it. But it jerked and poked me several times before I could hold it :P But still it was so fun! (:

Then, I got to bottle feed this little lamb called Erica! :D But I felt kinda sad after knowing that her mother died while giving birth to her last Easter ): Even though I know its not good to be TOO attached to animals' death if you wanna be a vet, but I can't help but feel sorry for the little lamb :/

Oh wow this post is getting long.


Okay! End of the day! Needed to bring all the animals back into their shelters. Had to chase ducks round the pen and I looked so stupid :P But doesn't matter, I had fun! Then I walked a goat back to it's stable, except, it's nozzle-piece(dk what it's called) got loose, and it started tugging and running. And it was so strong it pulled me into the stable, instead of being the other way round -__- OH! And I got to walk a pony back into the stable as well!! :DD Oh that was one of the highlights of my day :PP Shetland ponies are generally short and stumpy, which makes them look so much tamer than normal horses (:

Oh and after that, I shoveled pig crap. No need to elaborate -__-


So CONCLUSION, My day was awesome (: Minus the awkward shyness bit, and muscle ache, shoveling poop was a lot of fun (:


That's it for today! I'll blog again tomorrow, but it'll be more or less the same, so I'll just put up the special things tomorrow!! (: Wow I blogged for more than an hour :/ Goodnight, pumpkin! (:

No comments: